Thursday, November 26, 2009

Learning to be Happy, and being done.

This blog, "The View From The Pew" is done.


I started this blog as a protest of sorts to the fact that my church doesn't approve of my living with my girlfriend. To that end I must apologize and let the matter rest.

It's not my choices that I'm apologizing for.  I've not changed my mind on what I think, or my personal motivations for why I've chosen this path, or why Alene and I continue to believe we are doing the right thing.

I am apologizing for thinking I could, or should, expect anyone else agree with my reasons. I am apologizing for the passive/aggressive anger this blog represents, and for my arrogance in thinking I am more important than I am.

Here's the black and white.  Alene and I made a choice some time ago commit our lives to each other.  As life developed and circumstances warranted, we moved in together and are happy as could be.  We are adults, freely making a choice with a clear conscience and joyous hearts.  Circumstances notwithstanding, we are, in our minds, following the path God laid out for us to the best of our ability.  It's not anyone else's path.  It's ours. I don't recommend anyone follow any path but the one God lays out for you. 

Being able to admit that leads me to close this blog.  I have no need to justify myself to anyone: indeed I should not try.  I don't say that as a challenge or a statement of rebellious pride.  It is simply a fact.  We are not asking anyone for approval, nor are we expecting support. We've made a choice.

We also acknowledge that we freely joined a church which has a specific set of beliefs, which we, despite what some may think, still cling to.  I know what the Bible teaches, and although I am convinced beyond doubt that God has blessed my path and I am not walking in violation of God's law, I understand others don't feel that way.  We have decided to submit graciously to the expectations and desires of our church family, which has had a long tradition of teaching against living together before marriage. I desire that none be distracted from Christ by arguing the matter, where indeed there is nothing to argue.   

I desire only that God use me and Alene wherever He puts us.  I am convinced more than ever that a position in organized leadership is not the only way to serve God, and in fact, such positions can sometimes put restrictions on how we serve God.  Expectations and appearances are too often maintained so as not to offend, as opposed to being honest. Serving without such restrictions or expectations can been liberating.

Please accept my apology for my attitude and bitterness for a season.  I take responsibility for my choices, and although I may have harbored some ill will when I began this blog, I don't any longer.

Jesus said the world would know His disciples by our love for one another.  That's what I want the world to see.

To that end, I say adieu to this journal .

Join me at my original journal, Wild At Heart, and see what God has in store!

No comments: